Saturday, December 20, 2008

Priorities

A few years ago I learned something that has had a profound impact on my life. It was about priorities, and living life balanced. I'm sure you've heard of the "God first, Family Second, Career Third" motto...problem is life isn't that simple. Sometimes, due to circumstances beyond our control, sickness in the family, problem child, death, etc. our family is our #1 priority.

Other times, our career is demanding, and due to circumstances beyond our control, our career demands more of our time, and slowly creeps into first place. As I am writing this, I think of my husband Mike who is currently serving in Baghram Afghanistan on a year deployment. He did not choose to be away from his family for a year, but he chose his career, and his career demands first place, for this season. It is imperative for his safety, and the success of his mission, that his career be his # 1 focus.

So, as much as we would like to fit our lives into this neat little box, GOD, the maker of heaven and earth, the Creator of the Universe, is much bigger than a priority, HE IS. So instead of God first, Family Second, Career Third, consider this: GOD is FIRST in your relationship with Him. GOD is First in your relationship with your Family. GOD is First in your relationship with your Career. GOD is FIRST. Whatever priorities, and circumstances that you have in your life, GOD is FIRST.

Do not feel guilty when you need to, for a season, devote more of your time to your family, than your personal bible/prayer time, for example, when your kids are young. Just make sure that you are doing EVERYTHING, changing diapers, feeding lunch, caring for your children, as if they were the LORD himself. Do everything as unto Him. This is how you can honor God as 1st in your family. Be there for them,

Do not feel guilty when, for a season, you devote more of your time to your career, for example, a new business, a growing ministry, an entreprenual venture, there are times, that your career will be first place (your primary focus in your life) Remember to KEEP God first in your career. Be honest, diligent, full of integrity, do your job well, in this way you will honor GOD as First Place in your life. I could go on like this...

Stop for a moment, and ask yourself, "What is my primary focus for this season in my life?" Do not judge yourself, or think about what your focus "should" be...be honest. What is your primary focus. What do you want it to be? What is of the uptmost importance to you right now? Then give it all you've got! HONOR GOD by giving him your all. Do not hold anyting back...it's the only way to live.

Join me in this adventure! It is a ride you won't forget...

Living Balanced,

Jennifer

PS. As I write this, I am just coming home from a day of shopping, and popcorn and a movie...to keep all things in balance, as Joyce Meyer says, "sometimes you've just got to eat the cookie, and buy the shoes"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
I swear we were destined to meet...I am constantly feeling guilty that I am not giving my children the gift of a church education of religion. Honestly, I have no good reason why I am not, other than exhaustion! My children know that God made them and God loves them. Thank you for the reassurance that as a mom w/ three children ages five and under, that I have to simply put "survival" first. : ) But, I think it is time to give them that gift.
I guess what I am saying is that I appreciate you documenting your thoughts, feelings and inspiring ways. You really have been an inspiration in many ways to me.