Sunday, November 9, 2008

New Years Resolutions

About seven years ago I met a woman who told me that she didn't set New Years Resolutions. Every Year, around October, she would reflect on the upcoming year, and pray and ask God for wisdom and direction for the upcoming year.

In lieu of a resolution, she would set intentions for the upcoming year. Three areas that she wanted to grow, or change. And pick one character trait that she would meditate, and reflect on, an pick a verse from the bible to memorize, and instead of trying to be different, and picking arbitrary goals, she would focus her energies, and she had been doing this for over 20 years. I was amazed, and inspired.

I decided to apply this habit to my life, and every year, around the beginning of October, I start praying and asking God for wisdom, and guidance, to reveal to me what His plan is for my life in the upcoming year. I will say, this one habit has radically changed my life, and given me the gift of clarity, and intentional focus.

Now, instead of feeling guilty when I don't "spend enough time in the word" I continue to meditate on one scripture for the entire year. For example, this past year, 2008, my focus was on developing the character trait of righteousness. My verse was, 1 John 1:9 "If you confess your sins, He is faithful to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

In later blogs, I will post some of the results I have experienced during this 7 year journey. My decision to stop making New Years resolutions, has changed my life. As with any change that you want to make in your life, the only way you will achieve success is by replacing the old negative habit (the one that isn't working) with a new positive habit.

Here's to you having focus and clarity for 2009.

No comments: